Having the following specs on your Windows PC ensures that everything will go well from the installation to the emulation.
- Windows 2000 32bit
- Intel Pentium 4 of 2GHz
- 256MB of RAM
- Graphic Card supporting DirectX 8.0
- Sound Card Supporting DirectX 8.0
The following specs and hardware ensure the highest level of simulations withe every single game in the Commodore 64 game library. The optional accessories are especially useful at making the emulation a perfect and comfortable experience.
- Windows XP 32bit
- Dual Core CPU
- 512MB of RAM
- Graphic Card supporting DirectX 9.0
- Sound Card Supporting DirectX 9.0
- USB Joystick
- USB Paddles
- USB Driving Controller
- USB Trak-Ball
- USB Keypad
Screenshot of WinUAE
|File size||6.042 KB Installer|
Released in 1982 and discontinued in 1994, the Commodore 64 console was one of the most successful computers of its time, outselling the Atari 8-bit family of computers with 17 million of units sold. While mostly used as a PC for development use, a number of video games were created for the device. Unfortunately, since it was discontinued and can be hard to find, discovering the console and its games is no easy task. Thankfully, with a Commodore 64 emulator like WinUAE, playing these games on a modern PC can be rather easy.
C64 Emulator(WinUAE Emulator) for Windows.
Download and installation
Available as a .EXE installer and a ZIP archive file, the WinUAE Commodore 64 emulator can easily be obtained by accessing the official WinUAE website and browsing to the Downloads page. The .EXE installer can simply be used by double clicking the file while the ZIP archive file needs to be extracted to a folder of your choice. The .EXE file will also prompt you for the creation of a desktop icon while a shortcut has to be created when installing the emulator with the ZIP archive file.
Unlike most other emulators, WinUAE comes with a set of configurations with different behavior that users can select. Indeed, among the dozens of options available, users of the Commodore 64 emulator can easily find the best settings by considering the specifications of their Windows PC and their personal preferences. It is recommend to test several of these if you have persisting performance issues.
Choosing a configuration
To choose a configuration and load it to the emulator, there are 4 main methods that can be used.
- Firstly, simply click on the one that interests you, and then click on “Load”.
- Another option is to simply double-click on the configuration you wish to try.
- It is also possible to click on “Load From” to browse to a configuration file located on the Windows PC and select it.
- Finally, the easiest way to load a configuration is to find a configuration file with a .uae extension on the Windows PC and double-clicking it. This will automatically load the configuration to WinUAE.
It is also good to know that the configurations can be modified at any time and saved in the corresponding folder, while others can also be deleted (which could be useful considering the number of settings available).